Monday, July 16, 2012

BIG Beach Bag

Since we are headed to the beach this Summer, I needed a new beach bag! My other beach bag is a little small. I wanted to make a beach bag that would fit all of our stuff! This bag will fit it all, and its pretty durable. I am happy with how it turned out! Everyone with kids needs a bag this size! I could not find the exact bag I was making so I came up with my own, this is my attempt and showing you how to make your own Big Beach Bag!

To make this bag you need -
Heavy Fabric, I like drapery or upholstery fabric.
Thread

For Bag, Cut Fabric -

1 piece - 10 inches x 57 inches ( Sides and Bottom )
2 Pieces - 18 inches x 21 Inches ( Front and Back )

And for your straps you need 4 pieces - 4 x 57 Inches

Step One 

To Start, Topstitch 1/2 inch on the top your 18 x 21 Inch pieces. I sewed in once, and then sewed another seem next to it to make a little more durable. 

Next sew the ends of your 10 x 57 inch fabric again with 1/2 inch topstitch and sew another seem next to it. 
Put to the side. 


Step Two
The Straps 

Take 2 of the long strap pieces and put them right sides facing, Sew 1/4 inch along each of the sides. 




Turn straps Inside out, and iron flat. 



Step 3 
Attaching the Straps 

Lay your straps onto your 18x21 Piece, 4 inches from each side. Pin straps onto the first piece of 18x21 fabric, then lay it flat and pin other side of straps onto second piece of 18x21 fabric. Make sure straps are not twisted. 


Sew 1/4 inch on each side of each strap starting from the one side of the strap to the other. You still keep sewing the strap until you reach the bottom of the other side. 

It will look like this. 


Step Four 
Attaching the Bottom and sides. 

Next you are going to pin right sides together the long 10x57 piece to the bottom of the 18x21, You will start to pin at the top of the 18x21 Piece. then pin along the side the bottom and up the other side. 
Pin the other 18x21 piece to the 10x57. Starting at the top of the 18x21 pinning along the side, down the bottom, and up the other side. 

Then sew 1/2 Inch along all the pinned edges. 


Turn inside out and this is your bag! 








No comments:

Post a Comment