Monday, July 16, 2012

Maxi Skirt

Last week I got on this kick about sewing, and sewing new clothes, and I have not stopped :) I am loving what I am creating its so much fun! I have TONS of fabric that has just been sitting in my craft room, and I never knew what to do with it! Well finally I am using it up! The fabric that I made this skirt out of is fabric from the 80's that my mom gave me. 

This is my first attempt at trying to show someone how to sew anything! Lets see if I can do it! 

FIrst you need a 1 1/2 Yards of Jersey Knit fabric. Measure your waist wear you want your skirt to fit. Set your sewing machine to as long of a stitch as it can, mine was .5 mm.


Measure your waist size to the middle of your fabric. Make sure you have an even amount of fabric on both sides of your waist measurement and mark your fabric. Cut at a diagonal from your waist measurement to the bottom of your skirt, so it looks like this.


Fold the fabric in half with right sides facing, and sew down the longs side, using 1/2 inch seem. 


To make a stretch waist bad. Fold the top of the fabric down 3 inches and sew around bottom of the band. 


Fold band again 3 inches, the seem you just sewed with be at the top of your skirt. Sew the sides of the band down on the seem.  Make sure you use a thread that matches the fabric, and make sure you back stitch. 

It will create a little band like this. 

Now hem the bottom for the length you want and your done! 

This is the finished product! It took me about 25 minutes to make this skirt. SUPER EASY!!! It looks really cute on and will be a great little Summer Skirt, nice and light weight! I love it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment